November 21, 2007

Pocket of Hate: Car Wreaths

On Monday, on my way to work, I saw a VW bug with antlers. The owner had placed a plush antler on either side of the car, in what I'm assuming was an attempt to spread holiday cheer--in mid November. Or, maybe he just thought it was "cute"? I can't be sure. But, regardless, I hate it. And, I'm no grinch. I love decorating my house for the holidays. I love the smell of fresh pine, cinnamon candles and pies baking. I'm a total sucker for a lot of the holiday hubbub. But, I just can't get behind bringing the itch to decorate to the automobile. There's just something so in your face about putting a wreath on the front of your car, especially considering a significant percentage of the population could give two shits about Jesus and his being born and whatnot. It also places too much importance on the automobile, I think. Like, people really think their car is more than just a pile of metal that they need in order to shuttle their bums places that are too far to walk or bike to. It's as if their car is really just an extension of their home, and of who they are. So, of course it deserves a wreath, some antlers and perhaps a garland of tinsel or two. Well...I hate it.

And, sheesh...can it at least wait until December if it has to be done?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think car wreaths are exclusively a feature of republicans (or the otherwise taste disadvantaged, such as the senile, the medicated, or improv comedians). Check for personalized plates to confirm.