October 26, 2007

Radio Station Callers

I was listening to Indie 103.1 on my way home from work the other day and the DJ was like, "Next up...Data Rock, by request." And, this got me thinking... WHO CALLS RADIO STATIONS TO REQUEST SONGS ANYMORE? Music is currently so accessible it's out of control. If you really need to hear that one ditty you love, you can find it on the internet, guaranteed--and quickly. Is it that these people don't have computers? And, do you think they have a cassette tape on deck, with their finger itching to hit record when their request finally airs--like we did when we were kids? I mean, seriously... I haven't called a radio station to request a song since like 1989.

4 comments:

Ant B said...

wow, I was all ready to say, right on, sisterfriend, how cool that someone requested a song ye olde school-style, but then that's not what you were saying at all. call me a luddite, but I wish that I still lived in a world where it wasn't weird to hear someone request a song on commercial radio. or even college radio. makes me sad, really. sad, sad, sad.

Matt said...

Sometimes I want to call and request Sophie B. Hawkin's "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" and I don't think I shouldn't be able to. Best believe I would have my mix tape ready.

fiestascramble said...

Ok, Ok. Let's just all simmer down. I actually do think it's super cool, in a way. But, I guess my post was too short...and not fully evolved. So, like, Data Rock is on the Indie 103.1 playlist, so their new song plays every 10 minutes, so no one would have to request it. Maybe it's an internal radio station whamboozle..trying to make us all think someone requested their damn playlist song.

But - also... my other point was: WHO CALLS RADIO STATIONS TO REQUEST SONGS?!?! As in, please feel free to report the last time any of you did this. I mean....really???

fiestascramble said...

Oh - and - LONG LIVE MEMOREX!!