August 23, 2007

Rough and Tumble

My roommates and I were en route to either Cha Cha or the Red Lion the other night when we happened upon a graffiti art exhibit at local Ghetto Gloss. Seeing framed pieces from sketch books threw me off a bit. It's like -- too refined for the medium. But, they were handing out free PBRs, so we decided to mingle a bit...

My attention was immediately drawn to two boys that were tatted like ratta tat tats--no skin patch without decor. I approached. I asked. I saw. Soon, we were talking about their friend that had just OD'd on cocaine a few days prior--hence a recently inked R.I.P. tat. I asked if they learned something from the experience. They said no. They were young. I gave them each a hug and told them life was amazing. They said life was only amazing on drugs.

Eventually, I started good-naturedly poking fun at their un-bent hat brims. Pretending I was a pirate searching for ships to loot on the high seas. They said they'd never met a girl like me. Not even a 5-year-old girl. I took it as a compliment. I enjoy being perceptively naive.

2 comments:

Cadien said...

Yiiiikes. How old were they? That exchange is pretty chilling in the retelling. I'd rather be your kind of naive than their kind of naive.

fiestascramble said...

21 and 23. Young lads. It was rather chilling. I sort of felt like a Jesus freak somehow. Like, walk toward the shiny clouds young boys.