August 02, 2007

Nerd Fest 2007

I don't even know where to start with this one. Ummm...so I went to the San Diego Comic-Con for the first time ever last weekend. Friends of mine have gone and returned with stories, but none really prepared me for what I just experienced. First off, I am NOT a nerd. Or, at least on the sliding scale of nerdism, I definitely fall on the "cooler" side. This was a startling realization. I mean, I play clarinet, was the drum major of my high school marching band, played polka, collect miniatures, watched a SHIT LOAD of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" while cross-country skiing in my basement (on the Nordic Trak), pretended I was Raphael (TMNT) in school in the 7th grade and would pretend I had Vietnam war wounds by dragging my leg through the school hallways. But, even all of this was not enough to put me in the top tier of nerdular nerdism at this convention.

First, I'm not in a guild (although I think I might form one). And, I don't pretend I am a superhero with a secret identity... at age 30-plus. But, these people are so freaking interesting. I had a lot of crazy conversations. I got hit on by some of the nerdiest people I've ever seen (which ultimately sent me into a tizzy, screaming things like "he thinks he's in my league!!"). Yeah. I was cool.

Look for more posts to come on my adventures at the Comic-Con, most notably my realization that my calling in life is to become a miniature cardboard robot hand wrestler...

Oh, and, to close, I should mention that Jim Lee called me a nerd..several times throughout the weekend. He said he could sniff me out among my totally un-nerdy friends, who were trying their best to fit in by dropping keywords like "galaxy," "LOTR" and "wizardry." So, maybe I am just delusional and maybe I really did fit right in with the crowd. In all honesty, the scene was more my scene than any other i'd been in in a while... so, I guess I am a TOTAL NERD. Phew.

6 comments:

Cadien said...

Oh, Huntress. To be the "king of the nerds" vs. one of the kool kids. Phew doesn't even cover it.
RE: the douche "sniffing out" coolness circa age 30... Pretty sure he wasn't captain of the football team.

lea said...

i don't get it... what's wrong with thinking you are a superhero with a secret identity at age 30?

fiestascramble said...

Ok. Silver Woman makes an excellent point. But, seriously, you just don't "talk" about your secret identity. Because, like, it's supposed to be a SECRET. (and i think i just outed you)

Satisfied '75 said...

who brought the cool kid? (cadien)

Ant B said...

rock that secret identity. somewhere in the universe I am a transvestite named Honey Dijon singing "Fernando" by ABBA to a stadium full of fans (it's not a superpower, but it's a secret identity, nonetheless). plus I think I'm brushing up against nerd-dom because I just ordered the first three issues of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8, which is only being produced as a comic book and I am super excited to read it. these will be the first comic books I have ever actually read and I fully embrace it. please post more about your comicon experience. I'm totally interested.

fiestascramble said...

I actually just tried to buy the domain "nerdguild.com," but it was taken! DAMN!